- Click On Orange Button Above For Free 'Insider' CSET Report
CSET Study Guide – Top 5 Tips To Find The Best Prep Book And Pass Now
Reviews for CSET study guides reveal the same issues over and over again:
- “This book was full of typos and errors!”
- “The online portion was useless…practice tests didn’t even work.”
- “These practice tests were way harder than the real thing!”
- “A lot of the info on here wasn’t even relevant to the test!”
But for every bad review, it seems like there’s a positive one claiming that the study guide helped them pass their CSET. There’s no doubt that choosing a CSET study guide can feel like a guessing game!
Once you have a CSET study guide, you have to use it the right way to get results. A good study guide without a good study plan won’t help you!
We’re here to help with 5 tried and true tips that will let you pick out a solid study guide and get the most out of it!
1. Take an Official CSET Practice Test Before You Buy a Study Guide.
Free yourself from depending on other’s study guide reviews by starting with an official CSET practice test from the California Educator Credentialing Assessment’s website. Since these practice tests come straight from the test-makers, you know that they’ll accurately represent the test. This give you the knowledge to judge your study guide for yourself!
Your official practice test will:
- Give you a baseline to judge your study guide.
Don’t wait until you’re taking the real CSET to learn that your study guide was useless! Starting with an official CSET practice test will help you determine if your study guide’s information is relevant and if its practice tests accurately represent the real thing.
- Help you determine your weaker areas.
Get the most out of your CSET study guide by focusing on improving your weaknesses!
The best part? Official practice test are completely free!
2. Read the Product Details and Reviews for CSET Study Guides.
With an official practice test under your belt, you’re ready to pick out a study guide. Always look for study guides with the following features:
- Make sure it was published after the last update to the CSET!
- Edited and fact-checked.
- Check out reviews to make sure you don’t waste your money on a book filled with errors and typos!
- Has computerized practice tests.
- This is essential! Practice tests in a book won’t help you learn the timing and format of the real test. A few guides come with a CD, but many simply provide access codes to online practice tests. Be sure to look into the product details; some don’t advertise their computerized portion as prominently as others.
- Explains answers thoroughly.
- Reviews or “look inside” features will let you know if the study guide has clear, thorough explanations for sample questions.
- Mostly positive reviews.
- Remember that some reviewers are biased, and any guide will always have a few negative reviews. But any rating lower than three stars is a red flag you can’t ignore!
- Covers your weakest areas well.
- Again, check out reviews to see the CSET study guide’s strengths and weaknesses. Make sure it doesn’t have a ton of negative reviews about the subject areas you need to study most!
Once you have a quality CSET study guide, it’s time to start the studying process!
3. Start Using Your CSET Study Guide Early!
No matter the subject, all CSET study guides have one thing in common: they’re thick!
If you don’t give yourself adequate time to study and gradually retain information, no guide will be useful for you.
“Early” will mean different things to different testers.
- Fresh out of college, feeling confident, scoring well on practice tests? 3-4 weeks of studying might suffice.
- Fresh out of college, nervous, not doing so well on practice tests? Give yourself at least 6-8 weeks.
- Out of school for a long time and need an in-depth review? If possible, Give yourself 3-5months.
- Not sure how much time you need? Use your official practice test results to see how much work you need to do.
Another huge benefit of starting early? If you’ve decided that you don’t like your CSET study guide, you’ll have time to return it and pick a new one!
4. Don’t Neglect the Constructed Response Practice Questions!
It’s tempting to only focus on the multiple choice practice questions in your CSET study guide. They usually come with an answer key and detailed explanations, giving you instant scores and information.
Constructed response questions, on the other hand, don’t offer the same feedback or instant gratification. Testers often spend much less time practicing constructed responses than they should. Don’t make this common mistake!
While it may feel like a waste of time to write responses with no feedback, CR practice questions will help you write faster, more focused responses. And scoring your own constructed responses can be extremely beneficial.
To get the most out of your CSET study guide’s CR practice questions, we recommend using the following method:
- Read and re-read scoring guidelines for your test’s constructed responses.
- Review scored samples in your CSET study guide.
- Using that information, score your own samples.
- Write a few bullet points explaining your score. Be honest and specific about your answer’s strengths and weaknesses.
- Use this criticism to improve your next practice constructed responses.
5. Determine Where Your CSET Study Guide Needs Supplementation.
Ask almost anyone who has passed the CSETSs, and they’ll tell you two things.
- Study guides are invaluable.
- No study guide can give you every single thing you need to know.
A good CSET study guide will give you a foundation for what you need to know, but occasionally you might need to dive deeper in some areas. After all, study guides have to cover multiple subjects in one book and can only include so much detail.
These are the best criteria to determine when you’ll need additional materials:
- Your own awareness of your weaker subjects.
- Results on practice tests.
- If you’re consistently struggling in one subject areas despite thoroughly reviewing your study guide, you might consider reading or watching some other resources.
- Amazon reviews.
- Reviewers might point out that the book is fantastic in literature but not extremely detailed in history. Carefully selected outside resources swill hep you get the most out of your CSET study guide.
Be cautious about the credibility of any outside resources you use. We recommend starting with the resources recommended by the California Educator Credentialing Assessments website.
Above all, don’t procrastinate! With plenty of time, you’ll be able to:
- Determine your weakest subject areas.
- Pick out the perfect guide for you.
- Make an effective study plan.
- Gather quality supplemental resources.
Get started today, and you’ll be one step closer to your teaching career!